Musings about life on the Palouse

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Lady Marmalade

It's winter.  Not exactly the time of year one thinks about canning and preserving.  Those busy days are tucked in earlier in the fall when all the garden seems to ripen at once.  I don't do a lot of food preservation anyway...tomato sauce, all sorts of berries, jars of pesto frozen for winter meals that remind of us summer...that sort of thing.    

However, there is one tasty treat that beckons to be made at this time of year, when the citrus from far off places shows up at the store, orange marmalade.  I love the flavor of a good orange marmalade, one without the bitter taste that shows up in some types.  I discovered many years ago that I could make it myself rather easily.  Leave it to the good old Joy of Cooking to come through with a great and easy recipe.  (However I have found that some editions do not have the same recipe.  Mine is from the 1964 edition.)  All it takes is a couple of Valencia oranges, a couple of lemons, water, sugar, and lots of time.  The results are so worth the investment, though.  It's like a bit of sunshine on a winter day.


By the way, apologies for the long gap in posting.  I felt like I had gone through the seasons of my life and talked about everything that could be said.  Maybe not...


1 comment: