Musings about life on the Palouse

Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Room of One's Own

Everyone needs a space of one's own...someplace to relax surrounded by things you loveI was a little concerned moving to this house that Paul had been in for 14 years.  I wondered how I would fit in and where that space of my own would be.  Paul has the studio, his sanctuary. Peter has his bedroom, his sanctuary.  Our bedroom belongs to both of us, our sanctuary.  I voiced my concern to Paul and he immediately said that the space at the top of the stairs could be mine.  At that time, it was fairly unfinished and a blank canvas.  The only parts that were done were the floor, the drywall, a large window and two skylights installed but not trimmed out.  We talked about what I wanted and needed in my room and Paul went to work.  And work he did.  The room needed so much done that it's taken him about three years worth of time to finish it.  But finish it he did, today, in fact.  It is indeed beautiful.  
 


An amazing bannister of maple and fir leads up to the room.  That in itself took an entire summer!  









There's a shelf at the side of the stairway that holds pictures and treasures.  There are banks of the old bolt cabinet drawers that appear in the kitchen, too.  








 
There is a bookcase to hold my books and stereo and the TV we never watch.  My comfy couch is just waiting for me to sit and read or stitch or sip a beverage and contemplate my next project.  






The knee wall is covered in lovely maple and fir with doors for access to storage.  My desk is there for working or setting up the sewing machine.  

It is truly my space and I love it.  Paul promised me when he started that he would make it beautiful for me and he did.  There is love everywhere I look in that room.

No comments:

Post a Comment